Sunday, March 25, 2012

Tiarni's Hospital Visit

The week before last Tiarni had her ultrasound and blood test at the children's hospital. Craig came home early from work as her appointment was in the afternoon, Alexander was asleep and Darcey would need to be picked up from school. I hadn't told her at this stage about the blood test because I didn't want her to spend days worrying about it (she had never had one before).

We toddled off into the city, it took over 20 minutes to find a car space, it was crazy! Anyway I told her about the blood test on the way into the city and she got very upset but was ok by the time we got there. I had told her that it was for the best, it would be over before she knew it and I would be right there to help her through it.

I had thought that the ultrasound part would be the easy part, but it wasn't. I had to pin Tiarni down and hold her as one of the I don't know what they are called, the things they put on you, scanner maybe, well one was really hot and she didn't like the gel, and screamed the whole time about how much it hurt her when they pressed down. She kept saying please make the lady stop. It wasn't a pleasant experience and I was very close to crying just seeing how much it hurt her. Everytime they stopped we would both sigh in relief thinking it was over, but they had to do her stomach, back and both sides.

Once that was over and we left there she was ok and happily came skipping and singing with me to where they do the blood tests. Tiarni got a bit upset when we got in there but then was excited by the toys, books and they even had a tv. After a few minutes, a little baby, about 6 months old came in very upset from having blood taken and Tiarni started to look very worried and came and sat on my lap. She started asking what was going to happen, I expained it and after I had she turned to me and said "so they will take my blood and then I will die". At this point the tears welled up again and I asked her if she thought she would die after they took her blood and she said, yes you can't live without your blood. She continued on - it's ok, all you do is you close your eyes and then when you open them again you are with Heavenly Father in heaven and you get to live there forever with your family. And papa is there too. I was gobsmacked. I couldn't believe that she had happily come with me thinking that that would be the outcome and was willing to go through it because I had said that she needed to and that it would be for the best. It was such a humbling experience for me and I think I glimpsed, maybe even for the first time, the absolute trust that she has in me as her mother.

After that I was a bit of an emotional mess but we were soon escorted through and they took her blood with a pin prick in her thumb as they only needed a few ml. Tiarni was quite fascinated as the lady kept squeezing her finger to get the blood out and wipe it into the vials. Although sucking that thumb is still a problem a week and a half later :)

Now we just have to wait until May to see the paedritician. I checked the ultrasound report when it came and was happy to see no big mass or anything like that, there are a few other things on there but nothing like what my imagination had conjured up. Hopefully all will be well!

1 comment:

Tammy said...

The poor thing! Both of you.