Monday, December 22, 2008

All In The Name Of Love

Today we did our annual (although Craig wasn't able to last year) trek to go and visit Santa and tell him what we wanted for Christmas. The best Santa's are always at Myer's and seeing as we normally try to make a day trip on the train into the city around this time and go to the Pancakes at Carillon, we decided to do both today.

Apparently a lot of other people had the same idea. The was a ginormaous line at Santaland in Myer's and we ended up waiting for just over an hour! (and there were 3 of Santa's helpers there too!!) They did have a little display set up were the kids could make a sand picture with all these glittery different types of sand that stuck onto these cool pictures, then they laminated them and it was only $5, so that took up about 20 minutes, but still, it was a LONG time! Then I heard a guy who worked there saying people were waiting 3-4 hours at Myer's in Melbourne! Crazy!!

But then we finally got in and were able to see Santa, he was really nice. They also had this cool train set up outside with a station and everything that the kids could ride on as well after seeing Santa. Unfortunately at this time of year, people's best spirits come out and Tiarni was unable to get onto the train with Darcey due to lots of impatient people pushing and shoving their kids on, so she was upset and Craig very annoyed, so we didn't hang around to let her try again after Darcey's turn.

Next stop the Pancake shop! We keep trying to find somewhere different to go and eat in the city but we always seem to end up here (we did consider Miss Mauds, but we have our family tradition of going there for the buffet breakfast on Boxing Day, so it was a little close to have it twice). It is a great place for the kids and I also LOVE their food too, mmm mexican crepes YUM!

Then we caught the train home again. I think that for Darcey and Tiarni this is always one of the biggest highlights of the trip. I remember when I was young, catching the train (sometimes the bus) with my Granny (and my Aunty Anne when she used to visit too), for day trips into the city. So much fun! It is so nice that this tradition has continued on and my mum now takes Darcey into the city on the train every school holidays.

I love at Christmas time there are just so many different traditions that people have. It is always nice to hear and see how most of the time they are very similar and always seem to revolve around spending time with family and friends or helping other people. Like tonight for Family Night, the last Monday before Christmas we always go to look at the Christmas lights on people's houses, then on Christmas Eve we will read the nativity story from the bible, while all dressed up in sheets and acting it our with many and various stuffed toys helping. We also read The Night Before Christmas. I love this time of year!!

Anyways, enough of my ramblings... Here is our lovely picture with Santa...

Photobucket

BTW, Tiarni was really tired when we got home and she has just woken up after a 4 hour sleep! She normally sleeps for about 3 hours during the day but that is with me waking her up to go and pick up Darcey from school. When she is allowed to keep sleeping these past few days, it has been from 3.5 hours to almost 5... YAY!

3 comments:

The Good LookingVan Den Berks Blog said...

Wow thats cool
I love traditions. This year is my first year not going to mums for Christmas lunch Im so upset but I thought I would make the sacrafice for Adrian as this the first year we have been invited to his bros house.I thought it was just as important to go there as it was for me to go to my mums. We have something like you have at Myer but ours is called the Magic Cave its heaps cool its in town. I know what you mean about some ppl and the Christmas spirit comming out its shocking its suposed to be the most loving and giving time yet ppl tend to forget that.

Sarah said...

Don't talk to me about traditions >=( ..

I hope you have an awesome christmas :)

Bryan, Amy, Michael, Tyler, Emily and Benjamin said...

When does Tiarni go to sleep at night and when does she wake up????? How on earth do you get her to sleep for so long in the middle of the day???? Michael's nap is a pretty standard 2 hour one... it was 3 hours but that was before we messed it up with a 6 week long holiday!