Sunday, April 5, 2009

Sunday's Sayings

Well not too much has been happening of late, just trying to get things organised around the house for when Damien, Natasha and their kids get here on Thursday night to stay for a week and a half. We are so excited about these school holidays and can’t wait to see everyone again.

We have as of last Saturday moved our computer out into the family area, we are using a desk Craig made in high school so it is a little crammed with everything on top. We, well really I should say I, spent ages looking for a desk and finally found one that we both liked (after a while the budget went out the window, just trying to agree became the main objective haha so I am really excited about the desk we are getting!! heehee). We are just now waiting for it to be finished being made and hopefully it will be here soon! I didn’t think I would like the computer being out in the family area but we have an area that really is just a waste of space and the computer fits perfectly there. It is nice to be on the computer and still be able to be with everyone else (like right now I am doing my seminary rolls and Craig is doing home teaching interviews but we are both still kind of together). Plus we are trying to follow the Prophet’s counsel and keep the computer in an area in which it is visible to all. I feel really good that we have finally been able to do that, it has bothered me for a while, especially now with Darcey on the net, she loves her Barbie website…

This past week everyone has been sick again. Tiarni has been sick most of the week and I ended up having everyone home on Friday with the runs and fevers (Craig worked from home). Craig still isn’t too well but he has a lot of work to do this week before his holiday so no time off for him just yet. We really are just having not such a great run of luck this past year or so with sickness, but I guess things can always be worse. I keep thinking how much does Heavenly Father think I can handle? But if it wasn’t sickness it would just be something else. So I am just plodding along and being grateful that it is just common colds and flu.

Photobucket

I found a great soup recipe this past week from an old food magazine (recipe by Emma Walcott). It was so delicious with some yummy homemade bread!! (a food storage one too!) Craig liked it although it was probably bordering on a little too spicy for him so next time I will reduce the curry powder to 2 tspn next time…

Curried Sweet Potato Soup

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 brown onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
3 teaspoons curry powder
1.2kg sweet potato, peeled, cut into 2cm pieces
4-5 cups chicken stock
1 large granny smith apple, peeled and grated
½ cup coconut cream

1. Heat oil over medium high heat. Cook onion and garlic for 4-5 minutes until tender. Add curry powder. Cook, stirring for 1 minute or until aromatic.
2. Add sweet potato, 4 cups stock and apple to curry mix. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer, partially covered, for 30 minutes or until sweet potato is tender. Remove from heat and stand for 5 minutes.
3. Using a food processor or hand blender, puree soup in batches until smooth. Return to saucepan over low heat and stir in coconut cream. Heat for 8-10 minutes or until hot (do not allow to boil). Add more stock if soup is too thick. Season with pepper and serve with toasted bread.

Today I was released from nursery so I did make it to over a year in the end. Today was actually my last day and of course it was a cracker to leave on. We had 10 kids today and they were just crazy so I didn’t end up feeling too sad by the end of church. So now I am just teaching seminary. I love it so, so much! I never thought when I was younger that I would serve much with the youth but I keep getting called back. I just really enjoy being with them, it is heaps of fun! Their knowledge of the gospel is amazing sometimes too, they come out with some random things that just seem to make so much sense.

Well not too much else to tell, Darcey had her interview with Bishop today for her baptism so we are all ready to go now. She really can’t wait and it is really nice as a parent to see her so excited about church and the opportunity she has to be baptised. I still can’t get over that she is 8, I am sure I will be saying the same thing when she is 20 and getting married, where did the time go? Oh on a side note, that reminds me, we have had a new family move into our ward in the past week and the mum came into nursery today with her daughter. We chatted for a bit then she came up to me when I was doing the food and asked if Tiarni was my daughter, I said yeah and she was like I didn’t think that you were old enough to have a daughter that old. Then I told her I had an 8 year old and watched her mouth literally drop open, it was really funny. So I asked her how old she thought I was and she said like a YSA, early 20’s maybe? (Like that was a stretch haha) I told her to her shock and horror that I actually turned 30 the other week (I am actually 2 years older than her!). So I guess I was pretty chuffed being 30 now, that someone thought I was 10 years younger. I normally get people thinking I’m about 25, so maybe I will keep looking younger as I’m getting older, yay!

3 comments:

Tammy said...

I'm so excited about coming to Perth! Can't wait to see you all!!

Anonymous said...

Its your good genes

Anne said...

hmmm ... i wonder who anonymous is ...