Thursday, November 20, 2008

A day in the life of My Lovely Wife

Well I thought I should probably do my bit to add to our family blog. That way I can get a full “A day in the life of my Lovely Wife” experience.

To get a real feel for Kirsty’s day I have managed to hold on to this sickness I have had for the past couple of weeks – I guess it would have been only half an experience if I was 100%!.

This is my first time blogging (and could be my last) so the pictures will have to wait until the master of the blog returns.

It has been over a day since Darcey, Tiarni and I watched a Boeing 767 take off from Perth and head for the skies, carrying our most precious treasure, Mummy (oh and I shouldn’t forget Grandma was on the plane too).

It was a sombre mood as we took the long journey home, however in the mist of the sadness, was room for a Pizza fix, and some Seventh Heaven.

Today, had a nice start. Rather than getting up at 5 or 6 to attend to my emails before I rushed out the door for work, I was able to sleep till 7.30! I can’t recall the last day I did this!

However in saying that my day took a turn for reality as Tiarni (who had been extracted from her resting place by Darcey moments earlier) came rolling in, to say hello. I thought this is cool, until the calls of “Munm, Munm, Munm” were repeated as Tiarni wondered the house looking in every room for Mummy. It wasn’t until she had strolled the house did she realise that “Munm, gorne” It was pretty cute.

Tiarni made it easy to establish what she would be waring today as all she was saying when I was getting her changed was “Dwez, Dwez, Dwez”. She loves this dress that her Aunty Anne got for her so I figured why not!

Darcey decided what we were to have for breakfast, oats… which gave me an opportunity to make it. I think I used the microwave for the first time to actually cook something… wow, the thing really COOKS! It was nice to eat breakfast with my little friends, and what added more to my joy was that both my little friends had eaten the lot!

As we made our final preparations for the journey to drop Darcey off to Scwarly, we looked out the window and what did we see? A few rain clouds looking at me, sorry I meant us…
I guess at this point I did the unthinkable, I departed from the way of the mum and did the dad thing… I figured we wanted to walk, so we will, I also couldn’t be fussed with umbrellas so I didn’t bother with them either! I just figured if it started to rain we would get aquatinted with someone’s veranda on the way!

On the walk I tried to set a good pace, not only to get Darcey to Scwarly on time but to keep us form getting wet, however in my attempts to set that pace, Darcey (as a good girl should) held onto the stroller, which meant I could only get a maximum speed of “Darcey morning pace”. It was a clever move by Darcey. Despite the pace we did make it in time. When we got to scwarly we noticed it was assembly, and Darcey invited us to stay, I figured why not!

Assembly was quite lengthy today, well for a 1 & ¾ year old and a daddy. But we endured and found a book to read. As we attempted to leave I discovered how difficult it is when Tiarni doesn’t want to go back in the stroller, so I guess we came on “Darcey’s morning pace” I figured we would be leaving at “Tiarni’s I’ve got a world to explore pace” This is much slower…

On the way out I was taught a valuable lesson from Tiarni, the devout observer. A student rushed passed us to get a drink from the set of drinking fountains up a head. She had a nice drink and departed, leaving me to wonder past with sounds of “dink, dink, dink…” as Tiarni pointed to the fountain. I went to the trough, and turned on the tap and to my amazement, nothing came out. I was certain the girl earlier departed with a refreshed look… How could this be? She couldn’t have drunk the last drop… or could she? I then figured I may as well try the one adjacent, however got the same result… I repeated this time and time again until I had tried all the taps. I was dumfounded! I then took my attention to Tiarni who appeared to be crouched in the middle of all the outlets. She appeared to be grunting and pointing at something. What could it be I wondered as I was about to take a disappointed Tiarni home… so I figured I would take a look. To my amazement, it was the solution to our dilemma. It was a ball valve that was switched off preventing water to come out from each of the outlets! How observant I thought she was to have noticed this critical part of the getting a drink process.

It wouldn’t be a true days experience if I didn’t try and balance Tiarni’s quest for snacks with making some calls. It sure was interesting seeing her pull everything out of my wallet, time and time again (after I put everything back in), be sat on, and have her yell “HIGH” and “BYEE” to the persons I was speaking too. A true eye opener!

It gets better… off to the shops! My shop of choice, Bunning’s, although in this shop, I normally travel at “Craig at Bunning’s Pace” which is I considered (on Kirsty’s advice) is slower than “Darcey’s morning pace” and “Tiarni’s I’ve got a world to explore pace”.

What I didn’t expect (after Tiarni refused to go in the trolley) was Tiarni had an even slower pace than my “Craig at Bunning’s pace” She whipped it out her “Tiarni wants to touch every item that she can pace”. In fact when I wasn’t looking she continued to fill my basket with various items, which slowed me right down as we put them back. All in all it made for a interesting time.

--- Kirsty to add picture of Tiarni Exploring in Bunning’s here --

After Tiarni’s afternoon sleep it was off to get “Darr” from school. By now Darcey and Tiarni had got me into a slower than usual pace so I think I left a little late… well think was the wrong word… I know I left a late, as we were half way to school when I herd the siren go! This helped me get into a mad frantic pace, although the stroller doesn’t handle the speed we travelled from that point on like the pram does!

After the pick up we stopped off at the park for a slide or two. It was at this point that I realised that I didn’t know what time Darcey’s swimming lesson started and where it was. Lucky for me Kirsty took the call to fill me in.

As we walked into the swimming centre Darcey realised she had forgot her goggles. I guess after a day I don’t have the skills to think to ask certain questions as we walk out the door. Despite the lack of underwater vision, Darcey did really well.

By the time we got home it dawned on me… the day was not over yet, we still had to eat dinner! Then for the hardest part of the day, the job I dread the most, deciding what to have. The first night was easy… Pizza was always going to be the one… Hmmm I thought what would it be. Lucky for me my thoughtful wife left out some mince, so it was spaghetti and smelly cheese for Darcey and Pilks surprise for Tiarni and I! It’s been a while since I cooked a semi proper meal! I am so grateful after a long day I don’t normally have to do it!

Dinner preparations were met with the traditional child by ones side and the odd accident where someone gets hurt and needs a cuddle, however some how like the one who had gone before many, many times I managed to get through.

--- Kirsty to add picture of Tiarni resting on the floor while Darcey is off in the background watching Kids shows here ---

--- Kirsty to add picture of my cooking efforts of “Pilks Surprise” here ---


After dinner we played outside for a bit and then it was off to bed for the youngest of my fluffy little friends.

To cap off the day Darcey and I played a game of Jenga. This was a game of the fittest! I don’t think I have ever played in a game of Jenga where the blocks went so high! I couldn’t believe it. Darcey was good, and had a real steady hand. It was nice to play a game at the end of an event filled day!

--- Kirsty to add picture of Darcey and my Jenga efforts here ---

By the way – Tiarni can go to sleep with the light on… I walked past her room an hour or so after she was put to sleep and wondered why there was light beaming from under the door… I guess when someone left the room they forgot to turn it off!
Whoops!

All in all, one can’t help but feel grateful for all they have. I am extremely grateful to my lovely wife. She offers so much to us, and we miss her dearly. I am grateful for this opportunity to walk in her shoes. Not only have I had the chance see the difficulties she faces and all the wonderful things she does, I have also had a chance to see all the joys our little friends can bring each day. We are so blessed to be placed in such circumstances.

Well it’s been an eye opener day and I guess I should get an early night so I can be ready for round 2 tomorrow!

4 comments:

Tammy said...

Your day certainly makes a good read =) You make a great Mum-Dad and I hope day 2 goes much the same!
Love you big brother!

Bryan, Amy, Michael, Tyler, Emily and Benjamin said...

A very entertaining read, Craig. Good luck with the next few days!

Anonymous said...

It does make a pretty go read. It sounds like your doing a good job Craig. I hope Kirsty is getting a well deserved break. Good luck with the next few days.

Keekies said...

Well I think that I might have to pass the baton on hey, what a great little blogger you are!

Most entertaining - although I was fristrated at the time. When I rang Craig at night, he wouldn't tell me what happened during his day. To quote "read it on the blog"... haha