Monday, October 20, 2008

Holiday to Queensland

So we left for our holiday on the 4th October very early in the morning. We had a great flight, Tiarni slept for about 1.5 hours which was nice. Darcey is pretty self-sufficient on flights - she is a seasoned traveller and knows what to do and where. This time we had a portable DVD player which actually worked really well (I wasn't too sure we needed one but Craig got one the day before we left). We had a new movie for Darcey and she enjoyed watching it. Even though the movies are edited for planes, they really aren't for her age to watch. Especially when it was a Will Smith movie about really strong people (I cant remember what it was called), lots of violence.


On the plane


Photobucket

We didn't have a seat on the plane for Tiarni which I was really worried about and had wanted to get one for her, but Craig assured me she would be fine and she was, although she sat on my lap the entire time the flight there and back. She wouldn't go to Craig so of course he thought it would be ok!

When we got to the Brisbane airport we missed our shuttle by just a couple of minutes so we ended up waiting almost an hour for it to come back and take us to the car rental place. The girls had a great time climbing the trees outside the airport while we waited. They were quite high up in this picture...

Photobucket

Then we drive down to the Gold Coast where we staying. We had changed our plans to stay at Nanna and Grandads place from the Saturday to the Sunday and it was a good thing that we did, we were exhausted! Especially after the drive down from Brisbane to Broadbeach where we were staying. We tried to go and get some groceries but being a Saturday the shops had shut at 5pm. We found an IGA Express which was very expensive and didn't have much stuff so we just got some bread, milk and nappies (and of course Smiths chicken chips for Craig).

The girls were a little unsettled but went to bed ok and then woke up at 5.30am EST (or 3.30am Perth time). The bedrooms were so light really early in the morning, Craig put al-foil all over the windows on Monday and we didn't have that problem again. Craig and I had stayed up late on the Saturday so we didn't get much sleep. We didn't end up going to church as we felt so crummy. We went and got some groceries then came back and rested (well Craig let me have a sleep which was REALLY nice!).

Next we drove down to Nanna and Grandads in Tweed Heads for dinner and a sleepover. We didn't know that they had started daylight saving the day before so we got there a little later than we had wanted to (and we forgot about it later on in the week too!). We made them lasgne, salad and garlic bread for dinner and Nanna had some lovely rockmelon and ice-cream for dessert. It was really nice to spend some time with them and especially hear all the great stories about Nannas childhood. We all had a wonderful sleep and the next day we went to Byron Bay, and more specifically to the Most Eastern Point of Australia (can you guess who it was who really wanted to go there?). I didn't go out to it as it was really high (I hate heights) and very very windy, I felt like i would get blown over the edge if I went too close.

Nanna and the girls

Photobucket

Nanna, Grandad, Craig and the girls

Photobucket

The beautiful view right outside Nanna and Grandads house

Photobucket

Most Eastern Point of Australia

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

We then went down to the beach below the lighthouse, just for a play in the water before we went into Byron Bay for lunch. Well we should have let Darcey change into her swimmers like she wanted, she got drenched! And loved every minute of it! It was freezing there...

Photobucket

Photobucket

Tiarni didn't like the water so much but had a great time in the sand with her spades

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

In Byron Bay Darcey and I got hair wraps (sorry I don't have a pic). Where they wrap different coloured thread and beads around a little bit of your hair, it was one of the things on Darcey's to do list. I wasn't going to get one but I did in the end after Craig talked me into it. I really like them and haven't had one since I was a teenager, so I was glad he did. They took about 20 minutes each to get done. Tiarni went to sleep in her pram pretty much after we got into Byron and slept for hours. After we spent the day looking around we trekked back to the Gold Coast...

Well I think that this is going to take quite a while to document and I am about done for today. I tried to keep a journal of all the things we did while we were there but I didn't have enough time to record everything, so this is it!

2 comments:

The Good LookingVan Den Berks Blog said...

Yay Darcey is one of us she doesnt care about the clod and goes in the water anyway :P
All this talk about Queensland makes me wanna go sounds like you guys had heaps of fun

Keekies said...

It was freezing - I couldn't believe she was ok in it...

It was fantastic! The best place I have been, there is just so much to do - we already have a long list of things for 'next time'. I think you would love it!

Only downside was the humidity - it hits you as soon as you step off the plane, Blah!